10 Reasons WHY Personal Trainers Embrace Neurology for Optimal FitnessNov 14, 2023
The landscape of health has been evolving for years, and personal trainers and coaches find themselves at the forefront of this ever-changing field. These frontline professionals, who have been witnessing the shifts firsthand, are taking charge, delving into various health aspects. However, they have often found themselves frustrated with their ability to produce substantial change.
The amalgamation of COVID and scientific advancements has allowed us to explore deeper into areas we have long recognized as gateways to optimal health. This exploration has brought forth NEUROSCIENCE and NEUROLOGY, catching up with the fitness industry and propelling us into the next evolution of health.
Here are the 10 areas where Neurology is making a significant impact, providing concrete answers and tangible processes that offer the education for change we have been eagerly awaiting.
No longer confined behind doors with people in white lab coats, neurology is now accessible to those on the frontline who have stood witness to the changing tides of humanity.
For these frontline individuals, here are 10 areas where we have worked diligently, and now, with the integration of neurology, we can effectively facilitate change:
1. Neural Insights for Deepened Client Understanding:
- Acquiring knowledge in neurology enables personal trainers to gain profound insights into the intricate connection between the brain and physical activity. This understanding empowers trainers to comprehend clients' motivations, behaviors, and exercise barriers, facilitating the creation of workout plans aligned with cognitive and emotional needs.
- By utilizing neurology, trainers can develop a deeper understanding of how the brain processes movement and sensory information, allowing them to design client-specific neuro programs that move and engage individuals by turning areas of their brain on more efficiently.
2. Motivation and Behavior Change Mastery:
- Neurology sheds light on the neural mechanisms governing motivation and behavior change. Trainers versed in neurology can employ strategies grounded in the field to motivate clients, aiding them in adopting and sustaining healthy lifestyle behaviors. This proves instrumental in cultivating long-term adherence to exercise programs.
- Understanding the reward and reinforcement systems of the brain allows trainers to design programs that effectively tap into these functions, leading to sustained motivation and behavior change for clients.
3. Expertise in Stress Management:
- Recognizing the neurobiological aspects of stress equips personal trainers to design workouts that effectively reduce stress. Understanding how neuro drills impact the brain to feel safe immediately allows trainers to tailor programs that support how the client's nervous system is on that particular day, regardless of their perceived feelings.
- By utilizing neuro drills, trainers can improve clients' focus and concentration during exercise by stimulating specific areas of the brain responsible for these cognitive skills. This leads to enhanced performance in physical activities.
4. Cognitive Function and Exercise Optimization:
- A wealth of evidence suggests that physical activity positively influences cognitive function. Trainers with a neurology background can integrate exercises and neuro drills targeting cognitive benefits, potentially enhancing clients' focus, memory, range of motion, pain reduction, and overall brain health.
5. Tailoring Individualized Training Programs:
- Acknowledging the diversity in how individuals' brains and bodies respond to exercise, trainers can leverage neurology insights to craft personalized and effective workout programs tailored to the client's unique body and nervous system changes throughout the year. This results in optimized outcomes and sustained motivation for clients.
- Additionally, understanding the underlying neurobiology of behavior change can help trainers implement strategies that support long-term habit formation and adherence to healthy lifestyle changes.
6. Mastering the Mind-Body Connection:
- Understanding the mind-body connection, a central concept in both neurology and fitness, allows personal trainers to seamlessly integrate mindfulness and breathwork into training sessions. This holistic approach promotes overall health and wellness, fulfilling the foundation preached for years in the health industry.
Neurology is allowing the real-time application of this mind-body thought process to come to fruition.
7. Client Education Empowerment:
- Educated trainers have the capacity to empower clients by elucidating the neurobiological benefits of exercise and implementing neuro tools that enhance those exercises even more.
Clients who grasp how physical activity positively influences brain health and proper brain health influences proper movement mechanics in exercise are likely to be more motivated, fostering commitment to their fitness routines.
8. Injury Prevention and Recovery Expertise:
- A foundation in neurology contributes to a better understanding of injury prevention, PAIN RELIEF, and recovery. Trainers can design neuro programs that facilitate exercise recovery, guiding clients safely back to physical activity post-injury and after hard training sessions.
9. Addressing Neurological Conditions and Special Populations:
- Trainers working with clients facing neurological conditions or belonging to special populations, such as older adults, can leverage neurology knowledge to adapt exercise programs and facilitate in-the-moment changes with them.
The nervous system changes at the snap of the fingers, regardless of age. Neurology allows all trainers the capacity to change someone's life by getting the brain and its intricate functions to fire effectively helping clients gain back the movement they thought they had lost forever.
10. Building Professional Credibility:
- In an increasingly competitive fitness industry, personal trainers equipped with a solid understanding of neurology stand out as more credible and knowledgeable to clients and peers alike.
Not only will they be setting themselves up as the go-to in their area, but their retention of clients will change how clients view exercise, health, and the importance of their trainer in their lives.
By incorporating neurology into their education, personal trainers elevate their skills, deliver more effective and tailored fitness programs, and contribute holistically to the overall well-being of their clients.
Our next mentorship is starting November 15th and there is still time to join. Just click this link and let us know if you are interested.
Want more information on our Mentorship and Programs?
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.